A weekend in Edinburgh (with an extra special surprise)

Be warned, this is a photo heavy post!!

Back in July 2015 for my birthday my boyfriend gave me first class train tickets up to Edinburgh for a weekend away later in the year. I love mini breaks and had never travelled first class on a train so was sooooooo excited.

The journey took around 4 hours but it went so quickly and the scenary out the window was stunning. I'd highly recommend it as it was much less stressful than flying! 

Durham (I'd love to visit here sometime, it looked pretty)












Just as we travelled into Scotland and along the coast (which was stunning!!) we went past a super cute little town called Almouth.














We arrived into Edinburgh at just after 12 noon. We had booked a hotel close to the Castle so decided to walk there. Little did we know that that walk would be uphill!! Up many stairs to be exact! Ha. It was a pretty walk. 






 
We checked our bags in and set off for our adventure. My boyfriend had done a little research of what there was to see (very unlike him! It's normally what I do).





He suggested we head north of the castle to a part of the city called Dean Village which was the milling distict and was meant to be very pretty. We were SO lucky with the weather. People say that its always 5 degrees colder in Scotland but that weekend it was around 16 degrees and a great temperature to walk about in.







We got to the area called Dean Village and stumbled across a walk leading along the river towards Leith. This was called the Water of Leith walkway.







Look how cool these piles of rocks are!

We hadn't intended to go on this walk but it sounded like fun and I'm so glad we did. It was stunning. You could have been anywhere in the world. Beautiful rock faces and trees high above you.

I love this street!


Next we were headed to the Royal Botanical Gardens. As you might know I love gardens and plants and my other half knows this and thought I would like to go. 






Unlike London's botanical gardens (Kew) the ones in Edinburgh are free! I would highly recommend a visit. Especially the Victorian palm houses. These are chargeable but worth a look if you can stand the humidity!! 

  




Look at these giant lily pads! I really wanted to climb on one!






Banana!









After wandering around the Palm houses we went to explore the rest of the gardens.



We found these enormous leaves that look a little like giant rubarb plants!
I think someone had just gotten married there as we saw the groomsmen walk past us. Very romantic. 

Speaking of romantic, what happened next completely took me by surprise...

We were just thinking of leaving the gardens and my boyfriend suggests we walk onto this grassy area to explore some more. I was wearing white Converse shoes at the time so wasn't keen on the idea! But we went, he slowed down and gave me a letter to read. When I looked up he was down on one knee with a ring and asking me to marry him!



Words cannot say how shocked I was. 
It's something I have wanted for a long time but thought it would never happen to me. 

I was completely lost for words but SO happy :D

It's not everyday a girl gets proposed to!!

Still in shock, we wandered back to the centre of Edinburgh and walked back up the BIG hill to Edinburgh Castle. I've been here before (although 16 years ago!) but my !Fiancee! hadn't been before.















After that we went for a celebratory drink at a cute little place on the royal mile called The Inn On The Mile, (we actually went back here for a yummy breakfast the next day) and then went back to our hotel to change for dinner.

I later found out that my other half had booked a super swanky dinner (as he knew what was going on that day!) at the Balmoral Hotel in their Michelin starred restuarant there called Number One. He also said that he tried to book a room there too but they only had a suite avaliable for £1500 and if he'd booked it I would have suspected something was going on!! Anyway, back to dinner!


  
Dinner was fantastic. The bread was a highlight if that's possible. It's all made on site and they slice it at your table. I obviously needed to try them all!










The service was also incredible and it was lovely to be refered to as a future Mrs!


 The view of Edinburgh castle that night from our hotel.

***

Day two we got up fairly early and had decided to go get a coffee and walk down the Royal mile which goes all the way from where we were staying near Edinburgh Castle to Holyrood House at the other end. Luckily it was downhill! Being early on a Sunday it was lovely and quiet. We grabbed a coffee to go and had a relaxing stroll.  

 
  


We saw Holyrood house and Arthur's Seat. Deciding not to walk up Arthur's seat (good decision) we set off in search of some breakfast. Like I mentioned earlier we went back to The Inn On The Mile. I would highly recommend the egg and sausage bap. If we come again I would look at staying here as our hotel left a little to be desired.
 
Holyrood House
Arthurs Seat
The Balmoral Hotel
 



Proper Scottish thistle!




After our wander it was about time to catch the train home. My other half had told me before our trip that we were going for afternoon tea at a hotel when our train got in. Little did I know he had secretly invited both of our familes to be waiting at the hotel when when we got off the train! That got me crying. Instead of cake we had a private dinning room and an incredible meal.

It truely was the best surprise ever (after getting engaged that is!) and the most magical weekend of my life. 



Even got a bear in my coffee!
Beautiful place
 



    I'd highly recommend a trip to Edinburgh :)

Comments

Popular Posts